I don't usually run to music.
I most certainly don't usually RACE to music since up until recently it was against USATF rules. And I am a rules girl through and through. But they lifted the ban on headphones (unless you are up for a prize and there is absolutely NO way I was winning my age group) so I decided to make a sick playlist for Houston. Cept, my iPhone wasn't cooperating on race day and I had no music.
Thankfully it decided to behave during Cowtown. I always find it interesting to see what y'all run to. Some people go for inspirational. Others spiritual. Some like me just look for a sick beat that has a good cadence. I must say, running for 6 hours it was nice to have some company in the form of familiar tunes. So here I have, for your reading enjoyment, my ultra sick playlist.
If you want me to be honest here, and I will be, the first 21 songs are entirely autobiographical. They really represent what's been happening in my life, how I've been feeling.
Here we go:
1. Texas Cadence - because you all know I love a drum line and the Longhorn Band never disappoints.
2. Rabbit Run - Whatever he's done in his life, Em seems to know exactly what is going on in mine. It's scary. "Some days I just wanna up and call it quits, I feel like I'm surrounding by a wall of bricks..."
3. 8 Mile - the opening hook gets me every time. "Sometimes it's just hard enough dealing with real life."
4. Lose Yourself - Eminem again. "If you had one shot, one opportunity..."
5. Love the Way You Lie - I was listening to this song on blast as I drove home that day. That day that forever changed my life. Like foreshadowing if you can believe that Eminem can foreshadow. This song makes me want to put my fist through the drywall. Oh wait, I actually did that. Lemme tell you, it doesn't really hurt when you hit the wall. It feels good. But months later, your knuckles will still be sore and swollen. It's really not worth it. Except, yeah, it was at the time. 'Nother story. Run an ultra instead.
6. No Love - Lil' Wayne makes an appearance "Kick me while I'm down, I'll break yo leg." Exactly how I feel Wayne.
7. Hello Good Morning - Diddy Dirty Money This song just makes me feel tough. This song was written for running. And I AM the Captain of the Cool Kids. "Everybody know what the truth be."
8. Not Afraid - One night I drove up and down the highway for hours listening to this song on repeat. I'm telling you, he lived my life. "And I just can't keep livin' this way, so starting today, I'm breakin out of this cage. I'm standing up, Imma face my demons, I'm (wo)manin' up, Imma hold my ground. I've had enough, now I'm so fed up. Time to put my life together right now."
9. So What - Pink. Oh Pink. Girlfriend, this song makes me want to get in a fight. Let's go.
10. Womanizer - That's all I'm going to say. That and I love Britney.
11. Fighter - Ms. Aguilera "Made me run a little bit faster."
12. I Will Survive - The Cake version. In true Cake fashion, they've added a little, ah, color to the lyrics.
13. Gives You Hell - All-American Rejects This song puts a smile on my face and I can't help but sing along.
14. F*** You - Oh Cee Lo, I pink sparkle heart you for writing this song. And I do not have the clean version. I dream of singing this at karaoke night.
15. We Will Walk - Matisyahu "We will walk until my blood runs out, until my heart is burned, you are not alone." You gotta love a Hasidic man who can spit rhymes about God's love and power. It doesn't get much better than that.
16. Empire State of Mind - JayZ I love NYC. This song reminds me of running my first marathon. As painful as that was, it's still a beautiful memory. Plus, I love NYC and the NY attitude. They are like Texans with funny accents.
17. Stronger - Kanye "That, that, that don't kill me, can only make me stronger." How true Kanye, how true. Seems like I've heard that somewhere before though...
18. Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars. Who doesn't want someone to feel this way about her?
19. F**kin Perfect - Pink again. "Dug my way out, blood and fire."
20. Only Girl in the World - Rihanna makes another appearance, this time solo. "Want you to make me feel, like I'm the only girl in the world, like I'm the only one that you'll ever love."
21. Till I Collapse - because who doesn't have this song on her playlist??? "I will not fall, I will stand tall"
Then we diverge into just some crazy beats and funness.
22. Hollaback Girl - Yeah, I've been around the track a few times myself Gwen. This sh!t is indeed bananas.
23. Magic - B.oB. I've got the magic in me. I had it all along. Sometimes I just forget and this song helps me remember. "Every time I touch that track, it turns it into gold." So he's talking about music. I can have a gold track, right?
24. Shawty Get Loose - Oh Lil' Mama. I dare you to listen to this song and not dance. Double dog dare you.
25. Imma Be - Peas. Just because.
26. Pon de Replay - Rihanna once more. "Run until the moon becomes the sun" Yeah, I actually did that a few times. Not for the faint of heart.
27. Blow - I will NOT apologize for having Ke$h on my iPod. "Throw some glitter make it rain!" Do it girl, go insane.
28. Lip Gloss - Lil' Mama again. "What you know bout me?"
29. Girlfriend - Avril I actually added this one because it makes me laugh. Who knew it would ever be so applicable in my life??? And just for the record, I don't like your girlfriend. See my desire from #9.
30. King Without a Crown - Matisyahu again "You're all that I have and all that I need. Each and every day I pray to get to know ya please. I want to be close to you, yes I'm so hungry. You're like water for my soul when it gets thirsty."
Wanna know what was playing as I crossed the finish line? I wondered about that all race. What would be "the song?"
Stronger by Kanye. Indeed I am stronger. Stronger than I ever believed.
So there you have it. Not a single radio edit. Hope you aren't too disgusted by my running music taste. It got me to the finish line.