It’s been a while
since I’ve done one of these posts and I just know y’all have all been positively turning blue, breathless with anticipation to learn what crazy crap I’m crushing on these days.
Well, breathe in. Breathe out. Here goes.
1. This weather. Today it was back to over 100, but oh have mercy I enjoyed the reprieve. Just a sweet, sweet taste of autumn to come. It makes all the difference in running and in my attitude in general. The windows are thrown open at night, the door propped ajar, pumpkin spice candles burning…I feel renewed. This is going to be a Fall like no other. I feel it in my bones.
2. My new cadence meter. It syncs with my Garmin so all I had to do was slap it on and I was in business. Katie kindly sent me a bunch of drills (thank you girl!) and I’ve been riding around town all week dangling one leg working on efficiency and pedal stroke. It’s quite the sight to see.
3. Speedwork. I love to run fast. Well, fast for me. It’s all relative. I’m relishing this time at the track because I know it will make me a better runner. And isn’t that the goal? Want a cutesy pace chart? I don’t know about you, but the math gets all fuzzy in my head after a few intervals. E-mail me and I’ll send it your way…
4. Epsom salts. When I was training for my first marathon Meb tweeted that he takes an Epsom salt bath the night before a long run. So, duh, if it’s good enough for Meb, it’s good enough for TPG! I’ve always used the regular ole Target brand plain Jane Epsom salts, but when sweet Kim was here last me she brought me a surprise. Lavender Epsom salts! Mmm, love!
5. Salonpas. I have been told that it is not exactly pleasant to sleep next to me when I’m slathered in Icy Hot. Something about an overwhelming wave of peppermint… Not that it matters anymore, but my MT turned me on to Salonpas patches earlier this year. Ooh, these are the best for a sore muscle or crick. Just slap it on where it aches and it heats up for about 8 hours. Yes, it smells like peppermint, but I for one, rather like the scent. However, a few trusted friends have given me the sniff test at work and they swear they can’t smell my Salonpas when in my general vicinity. So win.
6. Granola is a no-no food for the same reason juice isn’t allowed to enter my home; I can’t control myself. Well, recently I gave a box of Muscle Milk light that I won to Charlie. (‘cause I don’t drink the light) In kind, he gave me a box of Clif granola bars. White chocolate macadamia. Eh. I’m not really a white chocolate fan – too sweet. But I got really desperate at my desk one day, tried one and OH.MY.FREAKIN’.GOODNESS. So delicious. Great, I’m trying not to eat pre-packaged foods and I stumble upon this amazingness.
7.The song, “Shake My” by Three 6 Mafia. I just can’t help myself. I’m a closet hoodrat. It’s the perfect song to run to, you know, if I ran to music. Which, since I run alone, I don’t. So yeah, maybe it’s the perfect song to dance around the house or in your car. Don’t judge. I double dog dare you to download and NOT shake your!
8. Football season! I’m loving all your blog posts about what you are wearing to the game and photos of tailgating. We take our college football very seriously down here. SueMac and RaeRae know! So excited to head down to the Motherland soon to see sweet Nat and take her to a Longhorn game. Hook ‘em!
9. WASA. Oh, how I absolutely adore Wasa. I love Wasa with cheese, Wasa with hummus, Wasa with peanut butter...you get the idea. I also love my adorable Wasa keeper that the Container Store sells. Apparently they love Wasa as much as I do. It's yummy in my tummy and oh so good for you. Mmm, Wasa.
10. Racing. It’s this weather! Feeling kind of forlorn that my next race isn’t until the end of October, I signed up for the Run Proud for Dessert 5K at the last minute. Ran that Saturday. 5Ks hurt. The whole durn time. Welp, I also signed up for a race for this coming weekend. A race that I am woefully unprepared and undertrained for. That’s generally a recipe for success, right? The bright spot is that I’ve never raced this before so it will be a guaranteed PR. Perspective!
11. And just for a bonus, this photo. Makes me smile every single time.
What are you crushing on these days?